The function of management is to keep organizations on time and on budget. To survive and prosper, however, management skills need to be blended with the art of leadership. Honesty, integrity, determination, collaboration, coordination and flexibility are all characteristics of a business leader, which along with intelligence, stamina, energy and vision make good leaders great.
Here are seven important steps to blend leadership with your management skills:
- Build a positive work environment. Set high standards by establishing the organization's values and striving to implement best practice throughout.
- Establish the strategic direction by deciding which processes will be used to develop, review and implement the strategy. These operational aspects of the business are also the customer service delivery mechanism.
- Enable resources. Determine what is possible and how to maximize effectiveness of hard resources (cash, assets) and soft resources (people, technology).
- Invest in people. The heart of the business is your staff, so keep it healthy with a program of continuous improvement.
- Design the organization structure. Plan for success by defining functional areas, reporting structures, inter-functional relationships, means of measurement, control and policies.
- Create excellence by influencing day-to-day operations through coordination and planning.
- Maintain perspective. Constantly challenge the basis for the existence of the business. Is it still relevant today? In the future? What new entrants or market shifts are taking place? Ask why? What if? And what will it take to….?
Being in business is not about work. It is the joy of success and creation. Being a great manager and leader enables that feeling of satisfaction. But how do you get there and stay in this state of commercial euphoria? Therein lies the challenge.
Every business needs a plan and the plan needs a leader to make sure it is delivered. Strong personalities drive businesses forward, but it is a combination of drive and control that produces results. As a great leader in the making, you should have that mental vision clear in your mind right now. Do you?
Community Banking Recruiters, launched in 1967 by BankNews Media, is an executive search and recruitment service with a proven track record in both areas: helping banks recruit experienced, successful, quality senior and mid-level executives, and assisting banking professionals to obtain new employment opportunities that provide career advancement.
Community Banking Recruiters is dedicated exclusively to helping banks and bankers. Our mission, in simple terms, is to bring banks together with bankers. Our strength lies in our exclusive focus in the search and placement of bank professionals. This experience gives our team a tremendous advantage as we draw on first-hand knowledge while partnering with our clients, understanding their business needs, and effectively matching client and candidate together.